If you haven’t seen anything about this yet, Grease Pencil is a plugin within the free 3d program Blender that started as a tool to allow animators to give notes on scenes and strengthen poses by using 2d drawings as a guide. A 3d animator named Daniel M. Lara has been posting short bits of animation showing off what the plugin will do for 2d animators and I have to say it’s incredible. This could really revitalize the 2d animation community. The best part of all of this? Blender is FREE! Granted, it’s not an easy tool to understand or use but they seem to be getting better and better at making the interface easier to use. Really looking forward to this tool coming out of beta.
Subscribe to Animation Insider via Email
Top Posts & Pages
Interviews by Month
Categories2d Animation 2D Animator 3D Animation 3D Animator 3D Studio Max Adobe After Effects Adobe Flash Adobe Illustrator Adobe Photoshop Adobe Premiere Animation Animation Director Animator Cal Arts Cartoon Cartoon Network Character Design Chuck Jones Comic Book Director Disney Dreamworks Final Cut Pro Glen Keane Hanna Barbera Illustrator jobs Looney Tunes Mac Pro Maya News Nickelodeon Pixar Producer Sketchbook Pro Story Artist Storyboard Artist Storyboarding Storyboard Pro Toon Boom ToonBoom Storyboard Pro Wacom Cintiq Wacom Tablet Warner Bros. Writer
- Derek Carter on Derek Carter
- Sagpi on Promote your stuff!
- Rick on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Harry A. Long on Kevin Long
- Jennierose Lavender (JR) on Great Animation Clips!
- Jennierose Lavender on Dermot O Connor
- Lori Tucker on Don Cameron
- Kilian Muster on Promote your stuff!
- James Patrick Regan on Keith Baxter
- Daryle Smith on Spartaco Margioni
- 8 People who Helped Build the Philippine BPO Industry - Kalibrr Blog on Jose Mari “Joma” Santiago
- willies smith on Michelle Lin
- Johan Klingler on Johan Anton Klingler
- Robert Sledge on Robert Sledge
- Terry Reece on Robert Sledge
- Craig Wilson on Craig Wilson
- Tyler Barnhoorn on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Anthony s montalbano on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Animation Insider Interview – Diana David on Diana David
- Jenn Stout on Jennifer Patton