On November 23, the Rock is set to make his mark on the Disney Universe as Maui, a demigod who’s playing companion to the newest Disney princess, Moana. The film is coming out of Disney Animation Studios (not Pixar), and it’s being directed by the same guys who did Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. If the plot of a young woman embarking on a journey to save her family doesn’t have you excited, then the film’s music might just turn your head. Not only is the film being orchestrated and soundtracked by Hamilton writer Lin-Manuel Miranda, but they’re going to make Dwayne Johnson rap, so …
Subscribe to Animation Insider via Email
Top Posts & Pages
Interviews by Month
Categories2d Animation 2D Animator 3D Animation 3D Animator 3D Studio Max Adobe After Effects Adobe Flash Adobe Illustrator Adobe Photoshop Adobe Premiere Animation Animation Director Animator Cal Arts Cartoon Cartoon Network Character Design Chuck Jones Comic Book Director Disney Dreamworks Final Cut Pro Glen Keane Hanna Barbera Illustrator jobs Looney Tunes Mac Pro Maya News Nickelodeon Pixar Producer Sketchbook Pro Story Artist Storyboard Artist Storyboarding Storyboard Pro Toon Boom ToonBoom Storyboard Pro Wacom Cintiq Wacom Tablet Warner Bros. Writer
- Derek Carter on Derek Carter
- Sagpi on Promote your stuff!
- Rick on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Harry A. Long on Kevin Long
- Jennierose Lavender (JR) on Great Animation Clips!
- Jennierose Lavender on Dermot O Connor
- Lori Tucker on Don Cameron
- Kilian Muster on Promote your stuff!
- James Patrick Regan on Keith Baxter
- Daryle Smith on Spartaco Margioni
- 8 People who Helped Build the Philippine BPO Industry - Kalibrr Blog on Jose Mari “Joma” Santiago
- willies smith on Michelle Lin
- Johan Klingler on Johan Anton Klingler
- Robert Sledge on Robert Sledge
- Terry Reece on Robert Sledge
- Craig Wilson on Craig Wilson
- Tyler Barnhoorn on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Anthony s montalbano on For Sale: Old Warner Bros Animation Discs
- Animation Insider Interview – Diana David on Diana David
- Jenn Stout on Jennifer Patton
Just thinking about Dwayne Johnson rapping makes me want to steer clear of this movie. I also wish a major studio would take a bold step and actually use voice talent for the characters that doesn’t pull from the Hollywood acting pool.
Totally agree on both accounts but I do like him so I’ll see the film. To be fair if they did pull from the voice talent pool it would only be the same 20 that do everything anyway, so honestly it’s really not that different.
I have daughter who is really into animation. I think she will enjoy this 🙂