The Head of Story, in concert with the Director, translates and interprets story lines into a visual medium via sketches, thumbnail drawings and finished storyboard drawings. Storyboards are the foundation of the production. The Head of Story is responsible for managing the Storyboard Department and the department’s Storyboard Artists.
Essential Job Functions
· Leads and actively manages Storyboard Artists and storyboarding process.
· Reviews, critiques, adjusts and approves work created in advance of Director review.
· Serves as creative story lead.
· Delivers storyboard assignments on time and on budget, which includes developing and maintaining schedules and standards for the department that are consistent with the needs of the Production.
· Illustrates script pages and story ideas.
· Develops character personality and dramatic/comedic action.
· Works with Director (and Editor) to define staging, pacing, layout and camera action.
· Incorporates Director’s notes.
· Creates quick thumbnail sketches through to finished detailed storyboard panels.
· Works with the Director, Producer and Editorial staff to review and adjust story schedules as needed.
· Liaises with other key department heads such as Puppets, RP, Art and Camera to ensure healthy cross department communication and information sharing.
· Experience as a Head of Story on a theatrically released Feature Animated Film.
· Experience as a storyboard artist on Feature Films.
· 5+ years experience on Animated Feature Films.
· Strong drawing ability for conveying character and action.
· Strong understanding of basic story structure, character development, staging, layout, cutting and a cinematic / dynamic use of camera.
· Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
· Ability to visually analyze and translate scripts.
· Ability to create quick sketches through to finished storyboard panels.
· Ability to create inventive ideas and stories with a sense of entertainment and humor for multiple types of creative projects.
· Experience with the Wacom Cintiq drawing tablet, a plus.
· Experience with Photoshop, a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
– See more at: http://www.creativeheads.net/job/14195/head-of-story-in-hillsboro#sthash.Eq9ODR3F.dpuf