We are currently looking for experienced storyboard artists to join our Santa Monica “Beast of Burden” production.
“Beasts of Burden” is an animated adventure about the baffling behavior (tail chasing, barking at “nothing” at all) of our favorite four-legged friends. In the charming town of Burden Hill, there might be more to these animal antics than meets the eye. The town is inhabited by the supernatural, and when its paranormal activity becomes even more abnormal than usual, it’s up to a group of fearless canines called the Watch Dogs to protect its citizens – and humanity – from the mysterious things that go “bump” in the night.
Shane Acker (9) will direct the CG Animated feature based on the Dark Horse Comics series Beasts of Burden.
The Storyboard Artist is responsible for the creation of 2D artwork and storyboards used as the basis for all creative projects in the studio. The Storyboard Artist is also responsible for collaborating with the Director, Editor and the layout department to develop look and pacing of a project.
Duties and Responsibilities
• To use his/her skills to interpret the film’s script to create storyboard panels creating a full story reel.
• Working with the Director and the Producer, to create rough camera blocking through drawn fields of view in all storyboard panels.
• To visualize and conceptualize the story before drawing it, using different angles and maintaining continuity among drawn panels.
• Create multiple drawings and paintings to be used as layers or backgrounds in composite images.
• After a first pass of the entire film, to continue to clean up and revise drawn panels taking direction from the Director and Producer.
• Perform visual and analytical problem solving in 2 dimensional space.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelors degree in Computer Graphics, Fine Art, Architectural/Industrial Design, Computer Science or related field; or equivalent professional experience.
• Requires 2 years minimum experience in Feature Film, Commercial and/or Video Game production with and emphasis on drawing and painting
• Following a style, cutting and pasting, drawing and quick sketching, basic backgrounds (buildings, landscapes), perspective and composition, cartoon and realistic drawing styles, story development and interpretation, conceptualization, understanding the animation process (script timing, next step layout)
• Technical Skills: Basic computer literacy plus, storyboard software, Photoshop and Illustrator
• Extremely strong pre-visualization and artistic drawing skills
• Organizational Skills: Following directions, completing tasks independently, management/delegation (as you advance in job level).
• Feature Film Storyboarding experience would be an extreme asset.
• Able to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
• Able to multi-task and prioritize
• Able to thrive in a high pressure, deadline oriented environment
• Enjoy working in teams
• Able to follow directions well
Note: This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.